🌱 NYC Homeless Targeted in Shooting + Stabbed MOMA Employees
Hello New York! Here’s everything you need to know to get your Monday off to a good start.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Partly sunny and warmer. High: 55 Low: 41.
Are you a local owner or trader? We can help you effortlessly deliver effective ads that reach customers in New York. Click here to find out more.
Here are the top five stories from today in New York:
- Police say a shooter linked to two Lower Manhattan incidents on Saturday morning deliberately targeted homeless people sleeping rough. During a press conference, Mayor Adams called the footage of the shooting “chilling” and “an act of cold-blooded murder. Two people were shot while sleeping on the street, without committing of felony”. (gothamist)
- Two employees of the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) were stabbed on Saturday by a man angry at having been refused entry to the institution due to a previous criminal record. The incident led to the evacuation of the museum and the man, identified as Gary Cabana, was at large on Sunday morning. (The Guardian)
- A politically well-connected adviser to Mayor Eric Adams resigned on Friday over whether his appointment to a high-level post was a conflict of interest as he is also a district chief. Ed Hermelyn is also the husband of Rodneyse Bichotte Hermelyn, Congresswoman and patron of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, as well as a strong Adams supporter. (The city)
- New York’s pandemic jobs recovery is doing better than previously thought, according to a new analysis of the December 2021 unemployment rate – now estimated at 7.4%, instead of 8.8% as previously indicated. This is good news for Mayor Adams as he reveals his economic “master plan” plan. (The city)
- The Old Farmers’ Almanac predicts New York City will experience a warmer-than-average spring and summer this year, like most of the country. The almanac isn’t necessarily well regarded among meteorologists, but it’s still “a widely held literal seasonal tradition”. (New York City crest)
From our sponsor:
Today New York City Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez Loan Officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
- Check out this new horror-themed restaurant in Ridgewood, Queens. Theme restaurants are increasingly rare in New York, especially outside of Times Square. (gothamist)
- The week ahead in New York will be relatively mild compared to last weekend, with highs in the upper 50s and 60s. (New York City crest)
- Here’s everything you ever wanted to know about discount NYC subway passes – who’s eligible and how to get one. (AMNI)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Save the Date: 300th White Collar Support Group Meeting, March 14 (March 14)
- Press Release: The White Collar Support Group will hold its 300th meeting. March 14 (March 14)
- Montclair School of Real Estate Offering courses IN PERSON or ONLINE (March 15)
- Virtual Open House for Toddlers (March 15)
- Spanish Course for Adult Beginners FREE DEMO via ZOOM (March 15)
- Call for entries – 16th ARC International Salon Competition (March 16)
- The Danny Awards: FREE Live Event – Celebrating the Musical Talent of People with Disabilities (March 19)
- Spirit of Spring Festival of the Arts (March 20)
- CAT DADDIES Movie Premiere and Fundraiser for Flatbush Cats 501c3 (March 30)
- Freedom Party® NYC April Fool’s Day (April 1st)
- Softball (April 8)
- Add your event
Concerts and Services:
Do you like the New York City Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re all caught up for today! See you soon.
— Dashiell Allen