10-day Italian getaway showcases the best of the city and the coast
Experience the best of Italy with a ten-day city and coast getaway that begins in the Eternal City with five nights at the five-star Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, a former 19e 19th-century Roman palace with 78 spacious rooms and suites featuring Baroque-inspired frescoed ceilings. Located on a quiet street in one of Rome’s most exclusive neighborhoods, the hotel is within walking distance of some of the city’s best-known cultural sites and parks, including the Trevi Fountain, Villa Medici and the Spanish Steps. Your itinerary will include foodie hotspots and private tours of the city’s rarely explored hidden gems.
Next, head to the Castello Di Semivicoli in Abruzzo to visit the prestigious Masciarelli where you can enjoy wine tastings, cooking classes, boating, and more. Masciarelli was founded in 1981 and has become one of Italy’s most respected wineries. Based in San Martino sulla Marrucina in the province of Chieti, it is one of the largest and most successful operations in the entire south-central region of Italy. The winery currently offers 22 labels and 7 product lines, as well as extra virgin olive oil and other specialty products.
Highlights of Rome include:
- Visit Coppedè, a micro-district with alluring Art Nouveau architecture and Villa Torlonia, a park and villa once belonging to the noble Torlonia family, designed by Giuseppe Valadier in the early 1800s
- Private tour of the magnificent Renaissance palace of the Villa Medici and its gardens.
- Roman Street Food Tour with Daverro Rome, offering a combination of traditional, modern and inventive options.
- Hidden Rome Tour with ArcheoRunning, led by renaissance (wo)man Isabella Calidonna, art historian, certified tour guide and coach for Fidal (Italian Athletics Federation) and Coni (Italian National Olympic Committee).
- Visit Villa Farnesina, the lavish home of wealthy Sienese banker Agostino Chigi and site of Raphael’s ceiling fresco with scenes from the wedding of Cupid and Psyche.
- Dine on contemporary Roman cuisine using local ingredients at Settimo, the jewel in the crown of Sofitel Rome offering panoramic views of the Eternal City.
Then its five nights in the Theatine hills at the Castello Di Semivicoli where you will be immersed in the beauty of the Abruzzo region and the incomparable taste of its wines. Combining the authenticity and charm of an old patrician country house with the refinement of contemporary furnishings, the accommodations at the Masciarelli wine resort include a superior suite with views of the vineyards, the Abruzzo mountain range and the coast. Adriatic.
- Private dinner and wine tasting in the barrel room of the Castello Di Semivicoli.
- Traditional Abruzzo cooking class to learn how to make “chitarra” pasta.
- Visit to the Masciarelli winery and participation in harvesting activities (if available in season).
- Tasting and dinner in the middle of the flagship vineyard of Villa Gemma.
- Boat trip to the Costa dei Trabocchi in the Adriatic Sea to see the historic fishermen’s houses.
- Luxury sedan and driver on call to visit the beach, local villages, historic castles and remarkable archaeological sites in the region.
- Ceramic workshop with an experienced local craftsman.
- Visit the organic vineyard of former professional footballer turned winemaker Luigi Valori in northern Abruzzo.
The 10-night city and coast getaway starts at €10,520 for 2 people, including private round-trip transport from Rome to Abruzzo. For more information or to book, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, please visit https://sofitel.accor.com/hotel/1312/index.en.shtml#origin=sofitel. For more information about Masciarelli, visit https://www.masciarelli.it/en/.