Residents can apply for Cook County rental assistance by October 29.



State and national deportation moratoria expired on October 3, once again leaving residents threatened with eviction if they are unable to pay their rent. Tenants and landlords who cannot pay rent and utility bills due to the pandemic can request up to 18 months of Cook County Emergency Rental Assistance before October 29. Here’s how to apply.

First, check if you are eligible.

Applicants must meet these four qualifications:

  1. Rent or own a suburb of Cook County.
  2. Have proof that you have encountered financial difficulties related to the pandemic.
  3. Need to pay rent, utilities, or other housing related expenses now or in the future.
  4. Have a family income at or below the county threshold. For example, one-person households must earn up to $ 52,200 per year to qualify, and two-person households must earn up to $ 59,650 per year to qualify. A complete list of household income eligibility requirements is available on Housing Assistance website.

Then gather your required documents.

To apply for assistance, you will need to verify your identity, list the people in your household and present your monthly household income. You must also submit proof of financial emergency related to the pandemic and enter your landlord’s name and email address. If you are applying for utility assistance, you must also submit your last utility bill.

Here is a checklist of documents tenants can include with their assistance request, available at English, Arab, Chinese, Polish, Spanish and Tagalog.

Then fill in the online application before October 29.

Here is a link to frequently asked questions about tenant assistance, available in English, Arab, Chinese, Polish, Spanish and Tagalog.

The Rent Assistance Assistance Center is available to take calls in multiple languages, including English and Spanish, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at 833-221-9821.

Other help is also available.

Residents who are not eligible for this program or who are looking for other forms of assistance can turn to this list of resources in English and Spanish. They can also request the Housing and Debt Legal Aid Program, Rent assistance for Chicago and Help for Residents of the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois.

E-mail: [email protected]

Twitter: @maia_spoto


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.