UAB recruits 18 players on the day of early signing
The silly college football season is almost over and now is the time to get down to business.
The UAB on Wednesday announced the signing of 18 players for its 2022 recruiting class, opening the NCAA early signing period.
“What a great class, they all meet various needs for us,” said UAB head coach Bill Clark. “More good news, we’ll have most of these guys in the middle of the year. Overall, this is possibly one of the best courses we have ever signed on. We have fulfilled many needs and are delighted that these players are joining a roster that returns a lot of talent.
RELATED: Hewitt-Trussville has 5 players signing DI scholarships
The Blazers have signed eight prep hopefuls and nine junior college players, in addition to welcoming a top-tier transfer portal addition, and are expected to sign a few more players on National Signing Day in February.
“We have a history with the junior college players, so we have all of these great relationships,” said Clark. “I think like everyone in America, we keep an eye on the transfer portal. We will still have positions to fill, so it will be an ongoing process. I really wanted some really great high school guys, I had local guys and guys from state and guys from Georgia. It’s a good mix.
Here is a breakdown of the current first signatories of the UAB:
The obvious headliner of the recruiting class of 2022 is ex-Baylor quarterback Jacob Zeno, who entered the transfer portal in late September and signed up to UAB just days ago. . Former 4-star prospect, according to the 247Sports Composite, Zeno is immediately eligible for the Blazers and joins the depth of quarterback with East Mississippi Community College transfer Damon Stewart.
“First we have Jacob Zeno and Damon Stewart,” said Clark. “These two guys really bring a different skill set. At the same time very athletic, big arms and very good leaders which is one of the big things that we are looking at. We think we have a pretty good watch room right now and they will add to that. “
Although he is expected to play the role of receiver for the UAB, former Pike Road quarterback Iverson Hooks also signed after leading the Patriots to their first state title in school history in the stadium of the Blazers.
“People got to see it in the championship game,” said Clark. “The thing with Iverson is that we have a local guy who is dynamic. He’s going to be in the slot for us, but you see him playing it safe, returning the punts and playing the quarterback. This guy can do it all.
Additionally, the UAB has signed two running backs – Robertsdale’s 1,000-yard back-to-back rusher Taven Curry and East Mississippi Community College transfer Zeus Perryman, a 2021 All-MACCC first-team selection. who compiled 1,086 yards during his two-year stint. The Blazers also signed two tight ends, 3-star transfer from Northeast Mississippi Community College Dallas Payne and local product Helena JC Sivley.
A host of senior offensive linemen are expected to leave the UAB after the bowl game and make up for the losses with the addition of four signatories. Hewitt-Trussville 3-star prospect Ryan Gunter and product Lanier (Ga.) Luke Jones lead a group that includes the transfer from Jones County Junior College (Miss.) Jaqavius Yates and the transfer from Coffeyville Community College (Kan. ) Nathaniel “Tater” Trzpuc, a first candidate for the team of all names.
“You look at the size of these guys,” Clark said. “These guys are big, physical, they both come from really good programs. And we have Tater (Nathaniel Trzpuc), a really good junior varsity player, and Jaeqavius Yates, these two big guys have great feet and really horny for both of them.
A trio of senior defensive linemen are also expected to leave the program and UAB made up for the losses with the transfer from Itawamba Community College (Miss.) Tyrique Howard and the transfer from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College Jae’Vien Gill. The Blazers also signed Coffeyville linebacker Reise Collier.
The UAB secondary loses a few key starters and contributors as a result of its bowl game, but has signed four defensive backs in the 2022 class, three of which have local ties to the state.
Spain’s Fort-to-UAB pipeline is still operational as the Blazers signed former Toro Carl Fauntroy Jr., a 3-star prospect who signed up to UAB earlier this year. Along with Fauntroy, 3-star security prospect AJ Brown joins the backend after honoring his July engagement.
“We had Fauntroy from Spanish Fort, a really good high school player from a really good program – we have a bunch of guys from Spanish Fort,” said Clark. “AJ Brown, that gives us another one and these two will fit in the security room.”
The Blazers also added two cornerbacks to their roster with the signings of former Phenix City quarterback Trey Miles and Iowa transfer Western Community College Codey Martin, a former Hoover Bucs standout.
“Really excited about him around the corner, with Trey Miles from Phenix City,” said Clark. “Once again, local guys who know what we’re looking for in high school. They have to play a lot of men’s coverage, which requires a lot of athleticism. “
SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT (18)
* Jacob Zeno, QB 4 star (6-3 / 188) Baylor | San Antonio, Texas
* Damon Stewart, QB (6-0 / 170) East Mississippi CC (Miss) | John’s Creek, Georgia.
* Taven Curry, RB (6-0 / 200) Robertsdale HS | Robertsdale, Alabama.
* Zeus Perryman, 3-star RB (5-11 / 225) East Mississippi CC (Miss) | Laurier, mademoiselle.
* Iverson “Strap” Hooks, WR (5-10 / 160) Pike Road HS | Pike Road, Alabama.
* JC Sivley, TE (6-5 / 230) Helena HS | Hélène, Ala.
* Dallas Payne, TE (6-4 / 215) Northeast Mississippi CC (Miss) | Baie Saint Louis, Miss.
* Luke Jones, OL (6-4 / 295) Lanier HS | Buford, Georgia.
* Ryan Gunter, 3-star OL (6-5 / 300) Hewitt-Trussville HS | Trussville, Alabama.
* Ja’Qavius Yates, OL (6-4 / 300) Jones County JC (Miss) | Crystal Springs, miss.
* Nathaniel “Tater” Trzpuc, 3 stars OL (6-4 / 260) Coffeyville CC (Kan.) | Smith Station, Alabama.
* Tyrique Howard, DL (6-6 / 310) Itawamba CC (Miss) | Independence, miss.
* Reise Collier, LB (6-1 / 195) Coffeyville CC (Kan.) | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
* Jae’vien “Joker” Gill, 3 star DL (6-4 / 260) Mississippi Gulf Coast CC (Miss) | Philadelphia, miss.
* Trey Miles, CB (6-1 / 180) Phenix City Prep | Phoenix City, Alabama.
* Codey Martin, CB (5-8 / 190) Iowa Western CC (Iowa) | Hoover, Ala.
* Carl Fauntroy Jr., 3-Star S (6-1 / 185) Spanish Fort HS | Spanish Fort, Alabama.
* AJ Brown, 3-star S (6-1 / 185) Walton HS | Marietta, Georgia.